SEA Games 2019: No surprises as Gilas Pilipinas cruises to basketball gold PLAY LIST 06:27SEA Games 2019: No surprises as Gilas Pilipinas cruises to basketball gold01:45Explosive Gilas Pilipinas not yet at its best, says Tim Cone00:50Trending Articles02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Photo by Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.netGilas Pilipinas coach Chot Reyes reiterated that he’s not closing his door on any possible additions to his “23-for-23” wish list.“They came in their own volition,” Reyes said, referring to the Riveros. “We’re all inclusive. There’s no one who was prohibited or was asked not to come.”ADVERTISEMENT Jiro Manio arrested for stabbing man in Marikina Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next OSG plea to revoke ABS-CBN franchise ’a duplicitous move’ – Lacson Steam emission over Taal’s main crater ‘steady’ for past 24 hours LATEST STORIES OSG plea to revoke ABS-CBN franchise ’a duplicitous move’ – Lacson Meralco ‘never the same’ after Almazan injury in PBA Finals La Salle had previously asked Reyes to refrain from naming Green Archers in his wish list for now after the school underwent a coaching change from Aldin Ayo to Louie Gonzalez.Reyes, however, is keeping his fingers crossed that things would turn out for the better for Rivero and his “23-for-23” players in the coming days.“It remains to be seen what will happen in the next couple of weeks,” he said.ADVERTISEMENT Wolves steamroll Cavs behind Butler, Wiggins Redemption is sweet for Ginebra, Scottie Thompson MOST READ Scottie Thompson also worthy of Finals MVP, thinks Cone La Salle star Ricci Rivero, who was accompanied by his dad, was a surprise spectator in the national team’s evening practice at Meralco Gym on Monday that raised speculations of him joining the pool soon.READ: Ricci Rivero makes surprise appearance at Gilas practiceFEATURED STORIESSPORTSTim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crownSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSAfter winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folkBut Reyes said that as much as the high-flyer would like to be a part of the cadet squad, things must be cleared up with his school first.“[The Riveros] have really been in touch with us since the list came out. But we had to explain the situation they had with the school. They asked if they can tryout, but it has to be something we talk about with their school,” he said. Judy Ann’s 1st project for 2020 is giving her a ‘stomachache’ Brian Heruela arrival bolsters Phoenix backcourt, defense Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. View comments
5 February 2009International power and automation technology group ABB has won an order worth US$53-million (about R528-million) from South African electricity company Eskom to strengthen its transmission network in the Western Cape province.The installations, which form part of an initiative to increase power capacity in Cape Town and its surrounding areas, will allow Eskom more flexibility and reduce its reliance on the Koeberg nuclear power station.ABB will design, manufacture, install and commission six 765-kilovolt capacitor banks at the Alpha, Beta, Mercury and Perseus substations, with the compensators used in the project being from a family of technologies known as flexible alternating current transmission systems (Facts).“ABB’s Facts technologies allow more power to be delivered more efficiently using existing infrastructure,” ABB Power Systems head Peter Leupp said in a statement this week.“This reduces the need to build additional transmission lines, lowering environmental impact and minimising cost.”Advanced control and protectionThe project includes ABB’s Mach2 technology, which is an advanced control and protection system, and the most widely applied platform for high voltage direct current and Facts solutions, bringing the benefit of fast, flexible, real-time control.ABB is a pioneer in Facts technologies, with the largest installed base in the world. Eskom has awarded ABB a number of contracts in recent years, including a $90-million order to upgrade control systems and instrumentation at the Matla power plant in north-eastern South Africa.This latest order was booked in the fourth quarter of 2008, and is expected to be complete by 2010.SAinfo reporter Would you like to use this article in your publicationor on your website?See: Using SAinfo material
Share on WhatsApp Everton’s Tosun earns draw with Spurs in game marred by Gomes leg injury Share on Messenger VAR at risk of changing the spirit of football, says Pochettino – video Play Video Share on Pinterest Share on Facebook Tottenham Hotspur The Fiver: sign up and get our daily football email. There were eight goals in this fixture last season, most of them scored by Tottenham at their freewheeling best, yet a pall has descended on both teams since. For the most part this match was so dull it was actually enlivened by the intervention of VAR. There were boos from the home crowd at the length of time it took to establish that Atkinson had made the correct decision in denying Son a second-half penalty, then more boos when a three-minute delay failed to penalise Alli for accidental handball in the area. This sort of thing is presently giving Premier League football a bad name but without it there might not have been any noise at Goodison at all in the first hour, and that cannot be healthy for a stadium that prides itself on old-fashioned atmosphere. 1:42 Topics Share on LinkedIn Everton had the only attempt on target in the first half, Paulo Gazzaniga making a routine save from Richarlison, and the home fans made more of a noise when Theo Walcott was subjected to a VAR review to check whether his foul on Ben Davies merited an upgrade from yellow to red. The travelling Tottenham support spent most of their time jeering Walcott and Alex Iwobi, the two former Arsenal players in Everton’s ranks, and at times, so limited was their impact, the home crowd probably felt like joining in.The Son penalty appeal at the start of the second half was actually one of the game’s few moments of quality. The school of thought that believes Tottenham perform better without Kane will have to reconsider its stance after this weirdly unfocused display, though at least there were signs that Alli is rediscovering his touch. It was Alli’s deft pass that had sent Son scampering into the area where, in attempting to get round Yerry Mina, he went to ground rather optimistically in a tangle of legs. Richarlison saw another shot saved before Moura missed an excellent chance to put Spurs ahead, failing to take the opportunity to lob Jordan Pickford with only the goalkeeper to beat. When Son found space for Alli to drill a low shot into the bottom corner the game could have been up for the home side, though the whopping 12 minutes added on for the various second-half stoppages ended up coming to their rescue. Only two points separated the sides before the game and, when it started, it was easy to see that both of them are short on form and confidence and they fought out a first half that will not live long in the memory. Spurs were marginally ahead in terms of possession and ideas, though the speed of execution and the accuracy of the final pass were not quite there. With both midfields giving the ball away for fun there was little to get excited about further up the pitch. A week after losing on Merseyside Spurs thought they had turned a corner here until Cenk Tosun headed an equaliser in the seventh minute of added time to save Marco Silva from the ignominy of losing for the sixth time in seven league games. Tottenham did not play especially well, with Lucas Moura failing to fill the gap left by Kane, though in normal time at least Everton were no better.Silva tried his most mobile midfield, Gomes partnering Tom Davies, but Everton were back to the slow and safe mode that the manager had complained about beforehand even before Gomes became the victim of a rash challenge that brought Son a straight red card 10 minutes from time. There was no penetration down the wings, Richarlison was far too isolated to be effective and Everton could hardly complain when a smart Dele Alli finish put the visitors ahead and seemed to have set them on the path to victory. features Read more Premier League Share on Twitter One could only feel for André Gomes at the end, just back from injury and talking in the programme about his optimism for the future, only to leave Goodison on a stretcher with the ghastliest of leg fractures.Many of the Everton fans stuck around to boo Martin Atkinson as he left the pitch at the end yet, though the officials on and off the field contributed much to an extraordinarily dramatic conclusion to the most ordinary of afternoons, it was not the referee who ended Gomes’ participation, although he might have booked Son Heung-min earlier for diving in the area. When all the sound and fury had died down the bottom line remained that Spurs have still not won away since January and Everton were too feeble to take advantage of opponents missing Harry Kane through illness. Share via Email Read more Everton Everton 1-1 Tottenham Hotspur: Premier League – as it happened Reuse this content
Pittsburgh Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin talks on his headset during the first half of an NFL football game against the Chicago Bears, Sunday, Sept. 24, 2017, in Chicago. (AP Photo/Charles Rex Arbogast)PITTSBURGH (AP) — A Pittsburgh-area volunteer fire chief has lost his post after using a racial slur to describe Steelers coach Mike Tomlin.Paul Smith of the Muse fire company in Cecil Township wrote on Facebook that he added Tomlin to a list of “no-good” people he describes with the slur. Smith says he was upset that Tomlin had instructed his team to stay in a stadium tunnel instead of standing on the field for the national anthem ahead of Sunday’s game against the Chicago Bears.The Cecil Township Board of Supervisors says on its website Tuesday that Smith “is no longer the volunteer fire chief.”The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports (http://bit.ly/2hujHlO ) Smith resigned. He tells the newspaper he’s “not the racist the media portrays me as.”He adds he “posted in anger.”
Candice SwanepoelCandice Swanepoel Official Instagram (angelcandices)Candice Swanepoel is an angel alright. The Victoria’s Secret supermodel turned up the heat by posing topless for a social media pic. ‘Soft to the touch,’ was the caption on her Tropic Of C Instagram page account.Reportedly Candice Swanepoel was named the world’s most influential lingerie model last year and the sultry pics cure prove why. But the stunning model didn’t even need lingerie to get pulses racing with her post. The 30-year-old beauty appeared peaceful and composed as she posed side on for the risque picture. This is not the first time that the Victoria’s Secret Angel has set Instagram ablaze with her gorgeous swimwear snaps. Recently she posted images in a white bandeau bikini and an aqua swimsuit for another one.Candice has a stunning figure and the supermodel works really hard to be in swimsuit shape. Speaking to InStyle, the supermodel said: “It’s all about balance for me. One meal in the day will be lighter than others, probably during lunch I will [eat something] heavier so that my body has time to burn it off. Night-time is something lighter, and I will always have a big breakfast.” Candice Swanepoel presents a creation during the Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show in New YorkReutersNow, we know that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, but we have skipped a few from time to time. But if we knew that it would help us look even a little like Candice, we would never have skipped a single breakfast.The model who sported the $10 million Fantasy Bra in 2013, sure is keeping busy with her other modelling ventures as well as parenthood. The stunning beauty has two children with partner Hermann Nicoli. You can check out the pic here: Candice SwanepoelCandice Swanepoel Official Instagram (angelcandices)
India’s supersonic fighter jet, Tejas, will participate in the upcoming Langkawi International Maritime and Aerospace Exhibition (LIMA) in Malaysia.Twitter/ IAFThe central government has identified 85 countries to promote the sale of Made-in-India defence equipment with the ambitious target of achieving Rs 35,000 crore worth of military exports by 2025 in sight.English daily The Times of India has given all the support defence attaches across the world to showcase the Indian prowess in defence manufacturing. According to the plan, these attaches will be provided with a yearly budget up to $50,000 each to promote the made-in-India defence products. Interestingly, the attaches have been asked to explore the sale opportunities for both private and public sectors by participating in exhibitions, conducting market studies, organising seminars and distributing publicity material.In 2018, India has called up all its defence attaches to deliberate on the ways to encourage sales of military products. Multiple meetings were held between these attaches and arms industry representatives and officials from the defence and external affairs ministries. The funds these activities is expected to be released by the end of this week one the defence attaches across the world submit the detailed roadmap and action plan for promotion activities.The centre has categorised the countries as per the possibility of the exports; the countries having the highest possibility of exports have been placed under category A for which the defence attaches will be getting $50,000 annually. Similarly, the categories B and C countries will be getting the lower allocation basis the possibility of exports. The centre has set aside a fund of Rs. 16 crore for the initial stage. ‘Make in India’ initiative has given a large push to foreign direct investment in India.ReutersIn a statement on the export promotion scheme, the Ministry of Defence said, “The scheme will play a catalytic role in addressing interventions required for exploring new markets and promoting export-oriented activities by defence attaches in the countries to which they are attached.”Vietnam, Thailand, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Afghanistan, UAE and Malaysia are few countries which have the maximum potential of buying Indian manufactured equipment. Importantly, the western countries like the United States and the United Kingdom are also on the list which already has a developed defence industry due to the ever-growing subsystem manufacturers in India.The MoD further added “India is emerging as a manufacturing hub for defence production and Defence Production Policy 2018 envisages an export target of Rs 35,000 crore by 2025. Defence attaches’ deputed across the world, therefore, play a pivotal role in showcasing India’s capabilities in defence product manufacturing and promoting export of defence products.”
Duchess of Cambridge, and Prince William travel to Buckingham Palace in the 1902 State Landau along the Procession Route, after their wedding in Westminster Abbey, in central London April 29, 2011.ReutersKate Middleton may have rubbed Queen Letizia the wrong way, or at least that’s what Royal observers think. Reportedly Kate Middleton and Queen Letizia both attended the Order of the Garter in London. Twitter users are convinced of a rift between the Duchess of Cambridge and the wife of the King of Spain, calling Kate “rude”. But what did a body language expert make of the claims?If the twitter-sphere is in a tizzy, Kate could find herself getting some unwanted attention. The Duchess of Cambridge does seem to have her hands full with feuds at the moment. If the reports of a supposed rift between her and the Duchess of Sussex Meghan Markle are to be believed. Kate has apparently been blamed for indulging in an alleged feud between Norfolk neighbor Rose Hanbury.Reportedly social media users are suspicious of a feud between Kate and Spanish royal Queen Letizia. These users are convinced that Kate has beef with Queen Letizia as the Duchess of Cambridge put on a grumpy face and ignored Queen Letizia, while others claimed that Kate was being disrespectful. Not all of them were blaming Kate though, as some came to her rescue claiming that people are reading too much into non-issues and gestures. Kate MiddletonGetty imagesHowever, body language expert Judi James has a few insights. James said: “A clue that all might not be as it seems in terms of any hints of slight awkwardness might come from the fact that Kate appears to dislike carriage rides because they cause her motion sickness.””Her body language reflected tension during the ride at the Trooping of the Colour and this could be a similar problem for her here,” he said.We have to say that it sounds like a more reasonable explanation than Kate Middleton randomly hating another Royal without a reason.
Map of MoroccoMorocco has banned the production and sale of burqa full-face Muslim veils, apparently for security reasons, media reports said Tuesday.While there was no official announcement by authorities in the North African nation, the reports said the interior ministry order would take effect this week.“We have taken the step of completely banning the import, manufacture and marketing of this garment in all the cities and towns of the kingdom,” the Le360 news site quoted a high-ranking interior ministry official as saying.It said the measure appeared to be motivated by security concerns, “since bandits have repeatedly used this garment to perpetrate their crimes.”Most women in Morocco, whose King Mohammed VI favours a moderate version of Islam, prefer the hijab headscarf that does not cover the face.The niqab, which leaves the area around the eyes uncovered, is also worn in Salafist circles and in more conservative regions in the north, from where thousands of jihadists have gone to fight in Syria and Iraq.In some commercial districts of Casablanca, the country’s economic capital, interior ministry officials on Monday conducted “awareness-raising campaigns with traders to inform them of this new decision,” the Media 24 website said.In Taroudant in southern Morocco, authorities ordered traders to stop making and selling burqas and to liquidate their stock within 48 hours, the reports said.Retailers in the northern town of Ouislane were said to have received similar instructions.It was unclear if Morocco plans to follow in the footsteps of some European countries such as France and Belgium where it is illegal to wear full veils in public.The reports were met with a muted response in the absence of official confirmation, though Salafists expressed concern that the measure could be expanded to include the niqab.“Is Morocco moving towards banning the niqab that Muslim women have worn for five centuries?” Salafist sheikh Hassan Kettani wrote on Facebook.“If true it would be a disaster,” he added.