Bahamas Minister of National Security Addresses Illegal Firearms Zero Tolerance

first_imgFacebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp#Bahamas, October 7, 2017 – Nassau – During his Contribution in The House of Assembly on the Speech from The Throne, on October 4, 2017, Minister of National Security the Hon. Marvin Dames said, according to the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime, murder rates in the Caribbean are higher than in any other region of the world.“The CARICOM (Caribbean Community) Regional Task Force on Crime and Security recently commissioned a report on the proliferation of small arms and light weapons in the Caribbean,” Minister Dames said.   “The Report noted that a major factor contributing to the surge of guns-related criminality in the region is the trafficking of narcotics, which has facilitated the availability of firearms.”With that regional context in mind, Minister Dames said, stakeholders know that law enforcement partnerships, intelligence, drug interdiction and gun control must be the focus over the next five years.He pointed out that, as delineated in the speech from the throne, the government is focused on making the nation safer through a number of strategic priorities, including the following: a Zero Tolerance approach to crime; the establishment of a Guns and Gangs Unit; the establishment of a DNA Lab; the detection of financial, commercial and cyber-crimes; and enhanced training across Law Enforcement Agencies.Minister Dames added that other priorities include strengthening partnerships in regional, hemispheric and international organizations; the creation of Neighborhood Safety Programs; engaging members of The Bahamas’ religious and civic communities; increasing youth employability through the Citizen Security Project; anti-corruption legislation; establishing a National Intelligence Agency; and the creation of a Parole and Probation System.He noted that the speech from the throne also articulated a number of ways in which the Government seeks to modernize the Parliamentary and elections processes of The Bahamas including the establishment of an Independent Electoral Commission and Boundaries Commission, the introduction of term limits for Prime Ministers, and the introduction of a recall system for non-performing Members of Parliament.“We are determined to deliver on these commitments; a promise we made to the Bahamian people prior to the May 10, 2017 General Elections,” Minister Dames said.When speaking of the Zero Tolerance Approach, Minister Dames said that, since May 2017, the police had executed the new zero-tolerance approach with precision through aggressive anti-crime operations throughout the capital with a focus on crime hot-spots, prolific offenders, persons with firearms, gang members, persons in violation of their bail, drug peddlers, shutting down drug houses and persons in violation of the nation’s traffic laws.“This new strategy is reaping positive results,” he stated. “Between May and September 2017, the police have arrested over 269 persons for an array of serious offences ranging from murder to robbery.   They have seized over 125 illegal firearms, and 5,316 rounds of ammunition.  In addition 9,381 fixed penalties (traffic tickets) were issued to drivers in violation of our traffic laws.“The police have also ‘ramped up’ their drug interdiction efforts by executing over 140 anti-drug operations since May of this year.   During this time period, over 10,332.15 pounds of marijuana and 1,428.87 pounds of cocaine have been seized.”Drug Enforcement Officers, he added, had executed over 120 search warrants on suspected drug houses and have also searched over 1,186 persons.  A total of 627 persons had been arrested for drug-related offenses, 528 of whom were subsequently charged and placed before the courts, Minister Dames noted.“This clamp-down has resulted in many well-known drug houses, which were operating for far too long in our communities, to be finally shut down,” he said. “Despite these successes, there remains much work to be done.”By: Eric Rose (BIS)Photo caption:  Minister of National Security the Hon. Marvin Dames speaks in the House of Assembly, on October 4, 2017.(BIS Photo/Eric Rose) Related Items:last_img read more

MEGA MILLIONS winning numbers are in

first_img Dave Scott Dave Scott, 00:00 00:00 spaceplay / pause qunload | stop ffullscreenshift + ←→slower / faster ↑↓volume mmute ←→seek  . seek to previous 12… 6 seek to 10%, 20% … 60% XColor SettingsAaAaAaAaTextBackgroundOpacity SettingsTextOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundSemi-TransparentOpaqueTransparentFont SettingsSize||TypeSerif MonospaceSerifSans Serif MonospaceSans SerifCasualCursiveSmallCapsResetSave SettingsSAN DIEGO (KUSI) – The numbers are in for one of the biggest jackpots in MEGA MILLIONS’ history. The winning numbers are: 28, 70, 5, 62 and 65 and the Mega Ball is 5. There are no reported winners, but according to California Lottery, a ticket from San Diego matched 5/6 numbers. KUSI confirmed with a CA Lottery representative, the partial winning ticket was sold at a Del Cerro Chevron gas station at 6301 Del Cerro Blvd. Updated: 9:19 PM Posted: October 23, 2018 Categories: California News, Local San Diego News FacebookTwitter October 23, 2018 No #MegaMillions jackpot winners in California, but 8 tickets sold in San Luis Obispo, Stockton, Rancho Cucamonga, San Diego, Chatsworth, Arcadia, Norwalk and San Francisco matched 5 of 6 numbers to win a still undetermined amount of prize money.— California Lottery (@calottery) October 24, 2018KUSI’s Dave Scott was at Murphy Canyon Liquor, where he talked with people before the drawing. MEGA MILLIONS winning numbers are inlast_img read more

Samsung said to be working on two more foldable phones

first_img Tags Samsung’s foldable phone line may be expanding soon. CNET Samsung’s family of foldable smartphones may be tripling soon.The South Korean electronics giant is developing a pair of new foldable handsets following its unveiling of its Galaxy Fold, people familiar with the company’s plans told Bloomberg. One of the devices would fold away from the user like the Huawei Mate X instead of inward, as the Galaxy Fold does.A phone that folds vertically is expected to be unveiled later this year or early next year, Bloomberg reported. An in-display fingerprint sensor may also be incorporated into the foldable lineup.When Samsung introduced its Galaxy Fold at Unpacked on February, it stole most of the spotlight from the other four phones the company announced there as well, including a 5G phone. Though many are intrigued by the Galaxy Fold, its consumer appeal may be limited its uncommon design, limited availability and price.At $1,980, the Fold costs twice the starting price of the Galaxy Note 9 or iPhone XS. The Mate X, which was also unveiled last month, tantalized audience members until its $2,600 price tag was announced, and then oohs and ahhs turned to gasps.Samsung didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment. 0 Post a comment Share your voice Foldable Phones Tablets Phones Samsunglast_img read more

AP Interview Top US Catholic Bishop Plans For Trump Meeting

first_img Share AP Photo/ John L. MoneIn this March 30, 2017 image taken from video, Cardinal Daniel Dinardo of the Archdiocese of the Houston-Galveston, speaks during an interview in Houston. The top Roman Catholic bishop in the U.S. lauds President Donald Trump for his anti-abortion views, for comments on the importance of Catholic schools and for promising to defend religious liberties.The top Roman Catholic bishop in the U.S. lauds President Donald Trump for his anti-abortion views, for comments on the importance of Catholic schools and for promising to defend religious liberties. When it comes to refugees and immigration, Cardinal Daniel DiNardo says he and Trump will “have to agree to disagree.”In a wide-ranging interview with The Associated Press, DiNardo, the archbishop for Galveston-Houston and president of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops, expressed concerns about Trump’s now court-stalled executive order blocking immigration from six Muslim-majority nations and about the effects the Trump administration’s immigration policies could have on families.“We have kids in our Catholic schools that are crying during the day,” DiNardo said. “They’re not sure whether their mommy or daddy is going to be home at night when they get back from school. … There’s no reason why that has to happen.”DiNardo in 2007 became the first Catholic cardinal in the Southern United States, an area where Catholicism has flourished as more people have moved there, from both inside and outside the U.S. In his first extended interview since his more than 400 fellow bishops in November elected him to a three-year term as president of the U.S. bishops’ conference, DiNardo said the conference has had “quiet initial talks” with the White House to arrange a session between him and Trump.The White House had no comment Wednesday on prospects for a meeting, although such a session would continue a common practice for the head of the bishops’ conference to confer with the U.S. president.“Right now seems to me the administration is still too early,” DiNardo said, but offered no timetable on when would be reasonable for him to speak with Trump. “They’re still working on getting their act together. It’s a massive thing to do to take over a federal administration.”Trump has taken a firm stance on immigration, passing executive orders to tighten border security and restrict refugees and travelers from certain countries. Homeland Security Secretary John Kelly has credited Trump’s policies and widely publicized arrests of immigrants living in the U.S. illegally for a huge drop in the number of people caught by agents on the U.S.-Mexico border.The bishops’ conference needs to be critical of presidential administrations at times, DiNardo said, adding that it’s essential the bishops remain engaged. He pointed to the conference’s statement critical of Trump’s travel ban.“We’re willing to register that and state that,” he said. “But we always want to be able to work with every administration.”DiNardo, 67, who came to Houston in 2004 as archbishop after more than six years as bishop in Sioux City, Iowa, believes most immigrants and refugees come to the U.S. for economic reasons or to flee violence in their home countries. While he agrees with the Trump administration’s stance that criminals should be deported, he doesn’t want to see immigrant families separated.Churches have been relying on a 2011 Immigration and Customs Enforcement directive telling agents to generally avoid “sensitive areas” such as churches, hospitals and schools when conducting deportation actions. Immigration officials said that policy is still in effect, but recent immigration arrests around the U.S., including inside courthouses, are increasing fears.DiNardo says that if immigrations agents were to show up at a church, he would advise priests to consult with legal experts at Catholic Charities.DiNardo believes the rhetoric in the U.S. on hot-button issues including immigration and abortion is too heated.“You’d like to lower the temperature so people will speak to each other too,” he said. “I think that’s a dimension that religious congregations and religious people and I think even religious leadership can bring to the debate.“You don’t have to lose your prophetic stance to clearly state that something’s wrong. If I’m a pro-life person, I respect all persons even when I vigorously disagree. I do not want to end up with name calling.”On other matters, DiNardo has denounced the use of internationally banned chemicals for attacks against Syrians as morally reprehensible and sided with Pope Francis’ call for peace in Syria “through dialogue and reconciliation.” The bishops’ conference favors a political solution to the Syrian civil war with the U.S. working with other governments.He has decried the Palm Sunday bombings by Islamic State suicide bombers that killed at least 45 people in two Egyptian Christian churches as “unspeakable persecution.”In his interview with the AP, he described the state of the Catholic Church in the United States as “good” while acknowledging struggles to attract people who aren’t religious.“Part of it depends on some levels on what part of the country you’re in now,” he said. “In the South and Southwest, we are booming. I’ve dedicated 26 new church buildings in the last 12 years.”In the North and Northeast, meanwhile, the church is consolidating parishes.While churches will be full on Easter, a paltry 22 percent of the nearly 70 million U.S. Catholics regularly attended weekly Mass in 2016, according to a Georgetown University survey.“It is troubling,” DiNardo said. “One of our goals in our priority plans is in fact evangelization, by first starting with us in the church.”last_img read more