Germany warns of sanctions over Belarus vote

first_imgTopics : “The political leadership of the country must accept the will of its citizens,” Seibert said. Belarus on Monday declared a landslide election victory for strongman Alexander Lukashenko after police used stun grenades, tear gas and rubber bullets to disperse protesters denouncing the vote as a fraud.The protests erupted after an exit poll for Sunday’s election showed Lukashenko soundly beating main opposition challenger Svetlana Tikhanovskaya.Police in Belarus detained 3,000 people for taking part in unauthorised gatherings during post-election demonstrations on Sunday.Tikhanovskaya on Monday she rejected the result of the vote and demanded that the authorities transfer power to the opposition.  Earlier Monday, Berlin had voiced “strong doubts” about the vote in Belarus.”We have strong doubts — and from our point of view justified doubts — about the… conduct of these elections,” government spokesman Steffen Seibert told a press conference.”Minimum standards for democratic elections were not met” and this was “not acceptable”, he said, adding that “the numerous reports of systematic irregularities and violations of electoral law are credible”.Berlin also condemned the “use of violence against peacefully demonstrating people” as well as “numerous arrests”.center_img Germany, which currently holds the rotating presidency of the EU, threatened Monday to reactivate EU sanctions against Belarus over a disputed presidential vote that has led to angry street protests with thousands arrested.Referring to sanctions against Belarus previously lifted because of initial progress improving the rule of law, German Foreign Minister Heiko Maas said the bloc must review “whether this can still be valid in the light of the past weeks and days”.Speaking in Berlin after a meeting with his South Korean counterpart Kang Kyung-wha, Maas also called for the immediate release of all protesters arrested for demonstrating peacefully.last_img read more

Crystal Palace set new asking price for Arsenal to sign Wilfried Zaha

first_imgCrystal Palace have set their asking price for Arsenal to sign Wilfried Zaha (Picture: Getty)Crystal Palace are determined not to lose Wilfried Zaha this summer and have slapped a £100million price tag on his head as he continues to be linked with Arsenal.Since returning to Selhurst Park in 2015 following a dismal spell at Manchester United, Zaha has re-established himself as Palace’s key player and one of the stars of the Premier League.The Ivory Coast international has decided now is the time to move on, however, and is said to have pleaded with Palace to agree terms with Arsenal over a summer transfer.Zaha supported the Gunners as a child and wants to play under Unai Emery despite the face Arsenal will not compete in the Champions League next season after finishing fifth in the top-flight.AdvertisementAdvertisementADVERTISEMENTMore: FootballRio Ferdinand urges Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop Manchester United starChelsea defender Fikayo Tomori reveals why he made U-turn over transfer deadline day moveMikel Arteta rates Thomas Partey’s chances of making his Arsenal debut vs Man CityPalace are reluctant to lose another star player following the departure of Aaron Wan-Bissaka to Manchester United, however, and have slapped a £100m price tag on Zaha.The Daily Mail say the Eagles are concerned about the backlack from manager Roy Hodgson and Palace fans if they sell their two star players during this summer transfer window.They now hope the £100m valuation will price Arsenal out of a move, with the Gunners only said to have around £45m to spend after missing out on Champions League qualification.Palace are now searching for a replacement for Wan-Bissaka and are said to be interested in signing Timothy Castagne from Atalanta.I can’t thank everyone at @CPFC enough. I’ve been at the club for 11 years and grown up there so I will never forget my roots and the support I’ve had from fans, players, staff. Thank you to everyone 🦅 #AWB pic.twitter.com/JyI8levCaP— Aaron Wan-Bissaka (@awbissaka) June 29, 2019 Crystal Palace set new asking price for Arsenal to sign Wilfried Zaha Metro Sport ReporterSaturday 29 Jun 2019 5:20 pmShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link706Shares Zaha is keen to join the Gunners (Picture: Getty)After his move to Old Trafford was confirmed on Saturday, Wan-Bissaka sent a message to Crystal Palace and the club’s fans.‘I can’t thank everyone at Crystal Palace enough,’ he tweeted.‘I’ve been at the club for 11 years and grown up there so I will never forget my roots and the support I’ve had from fans, players, staff.‘Thank you to everyone.’More: FootballBruno Fernandes responds to Man Utd bust-up rumours with Ole Gunnar SolskjaerNew Manchester United signing Facundo Pellistri responds to Edinson Cavani praiseArsenal flop Denis Suarez delivers verdict on Thomas Partey and Lucas Torreira moves Comment Advertisement Advertisementlast_img read more

Smoking behind half of major cancer deaths – study

first_img Share 97 Views   no discussions Sharing is caring! Share Tweetcenter_img Share HealthLifestyle Smoking behind half of major cancer deaths – study by: Associated Free Press – June 16, 2015 WASHINGTON, United States (AFP) – Smoking is responsible for nearly half of deaths due to certain types of cancers in 2011, a US study said Monday.Some 48.5 percent of nearly 346,000 deaths attributed to one of the 12 types of cancer known to be caused by smoking were due to cigarette use, according to the study published online in JAMA Internal Medicine.The large number of deaths comes despite concerted efforts to reduce cigarette use across the United States.“Continued progress in reducing cancer mortality, as well as deaths from many other serious diseases, will require more comprehensive tobacco control, including targeted cessation support,” the report concluded, referencing programs that help people quit smoking.Smoking prevalence has dropped in the US from 23.2 percent in 2000 to 18.1 percent in 2012, researchers said.Of the lung, bronchus and trachea cancer deaths studied, some 80 percent were attributed to smoking.About 77 percent of larynx cancer deaths studied were connected to smoking, the study said.The researchers noted limitations in their data, including lack of racial diversity and that that non-cigarette tobacco exposure was not included.last_img read more

O’Mahony extends IRFU deal.

first_imgThe 22 year old came off the bench in Irelands win over France last Saturday. Munster’s Peter O’Mahony has signed a new 3 year contract with the IRFU.The Cork native will remain with Munster until 2018.Ulster’s Iain Henderson has also put pen to paper on a new 3 year contract.last_img