National sprinter Yohan Blake says he is aiming to have what he has described as a “magical” 2017 season.The 2011 100-metre World champion said his fans should expect good things from him this season because he is confident he can pull off a few surprises throughout the year.”I am confident, but I’m not really focusing on what times I may set this season because I love to surprise the crowd,” Blake told The Sunday Gleaner. “Many persons didn’t think I would come back and run the times I did last season. I was consistent last season and this season. I’m just looking to execute my race and I have things up my sleeve, so expect good things from me.”Blake said these surprises may come very soon as he expects to be back competing next month.”The Camperdown Classic (on February 11) and the Gibson McCook Relays (on February 25) will start me off, and I’m really looking forward to all of that.”Blake said he is not really focused on the task of trying to become Jamaica’s next “sprint king” when Racers Track Club teammate Usain Bolt retires, as he does not want to put any undue pressure on himself and he just wants to focus on improving on last year’s performances.”Usain Bolt has been pushing me in training already for this year,” he said.”I don’t know if this will be his last year, but I will try to motivate him to come back. But I’m ready and I’m feeling good. He’s (Bolt) happy with where I’ve reached with my progress, so I’m happy and the coach is happy as well.”REMAINING OPTIMISTICBlake said that although things did not go exactly to plan at the Rio Olympics (he finished fourth in the 100m final), he is remaining optimistic about getting back to his best this year.”Well, I was injured and my hamstring was torn completely off the bone, and for me to come back and finish the season with 9.93 (in the 100m final at the Olympics), that speaks volumes,” he said. “Going into the 2017 season, I’m feeling myself, I’m running really well and I’m happy.”
Blairmont on the West Bank of the Berbice River in Region Five, and Black Bush Polder on the Corentyne Coast in Region Six are the most recent beneficiaries of Information and Communication Technology (ICT) Hubs, bringing the total hubs to 119.The ICT hubs were on Friday officially opened by Public Telecommunications Minister Catherine Hughes, who, speaking during the opening ceremony of the Black Bush Polder Hub, said it is a perfect example of public-private partnership.She pointed out that young people in Guyana with access to ICTs are beingStudents of the Joanna Primary School receiving their laptops from Chairman of the Yakusari Culture Centre, Mohabir Ramnauth, as Public Telecommunications Minister Catherine Hughes looks on.afforded the same opportunities as those in developed countries. Access to the internet, the Minister underscored would improve the life of every Guyanese. She pointed to the numerous possibilities for entrepreneurship as just one example. The Public Telecommunications Minister said the ICT hub initiative augurs well for the education sector, allowing students to complete research in a safe and comfortable space.She announced that, in a few weeks, Grade Six Assessment applications, curriculum guides and the CXC applications will be loaded on the computers in the ICT hubs.At Blairmont, Minister Hughes explained to residents the administration’s vision of making available over 200 government services online, such as passport applications.Speaking along similar lines, Chairman of the National Data Management Authority (NDMA), Floyd Levi, said Government is not only providing the laptops and free wi-fi, but training.He called on the management committees to ensure that every citizen, regardless of age, is given access to the hubs and computers.The Centre houses the Black Bush Polder hub, while the Blairmont hub is housed at the Neighbourhood Democratic Council (NDC) office.
In light of the recent jail breakouts, fights among inmates and other disturbances occurring in various prisons throughout the country, a new structure has been proposed to alleviate the burdens of the Guyana Prison Service (GPS).Director of Prisons Gladwyn SamuelsDirector of Prisons, Gladwyn Samuels in an exclusive interview with Guyana Times on Sunday stated that this new proposal will address staff requirement that is much needed.He explained that all of the prisons in Guyana are quite old and some were never built to house prisoners but he is optimistic that with the new proposal, things will get better.“All of that is being looked at. There is a new structure that is proposed…we will be seeking to meet that staffing requirement but as it is right now our staff requirement is 6 to 1. Our staffing requirement is not filled.”According to Samuels, the GPS has been appealing to the public for more persons to join the prison system. He pointed out that the numbers are not where they should be but was happy to announce that another batch of 32 prison officers is expected to be inducted into the system soon.With regard to attempts by prisoners to escape from the lockups, Samuels stated that due to the prisons being old and in dire need of repairs and upgrading, such acts have been easier to execute since these attempts are coupled with the fact that there is limited staffing.But such cases are expected to be minimal once the necessary works are completed at each prison, he said. “New Amsterdam prison is old and that is why it is slated in the budget to be rebuilt this year. Also, that is why Mazaruni is being rebuilt.”However, Phase One of the massive expansion of the Mazaruni Prison is set to be completed by October of this year. This was disclosed by Iain Peebles, Project Manager of the Trinidadian firm Kee-Chanona that has joint responsibility for the project alongside the Guyanese company, Nabi Construction Incorporated.Earlier this month, Public Security Minister Khemraj Ramjattan conducted a site visit to assess works completed so far and was utterly impressed at the development.The $4 billion expansion will hold 400 prisoners to help with the overcrowding at the other prisons across the country. Peebles said with the construction of the first floor completed, Phase One is about 40 per cent done.Phase Two of the project commenced about a month ago with foundation works being carried out.Peebles added that everything is going as planned and that there is no need for any variation to the project. A road will also be constructed to link the two buildings when completed.Overcrowded prisons in and outside of Guyana is a cause for widespread worry and concern. In fact, it is one of the main contributing factors in the development of mental health illnesses in prisoners. Congested holding facilities often lead to insanitary conditions and are breeding grounds for violent acts. In addition to this, prison workers are placed at a greater risk for potential violence by prisoners in conditions such as these.
“That was our worst half of basketball,” Taft head coach Mark Drucker said. “I was pretty worried because we weren’t playing well and we were in foul trouble.” Junior Amber Dixon led four Taft players in double figures with 16 points. Davis finished with 14 points – 12 coming in the second half. Nayshon Williams and Haynes chipped in with 11 and 10 points, respectively. Taft moves on to the semifinals Friday for the first time since 1981, where it will play Grant of Van Nuys. Taft also qualifies for its first ever berth in the Division I state tournament. – Jacob H. Pollon IN OTHER CITY SECTION GAMES: Grant 69, King-Drew 52: Blue Sanders had 15 points, Andrea Chavez had 14 points and five assists, and Arpine Amirkhanyan had 12 points and 10 rebounds as Grant of Van Nuys defeated visiting King-Drew of Los Angeles. Top-seeded Taft of Woodland Hills started off slow during Wednesday’s City Section quarterfinals, with missed lay-ups and several turnovers in the first half against visiting Carson. But behind a relentless defense and the shooting of Autumn Davis, the Toreadors (21-2) came alive in the second half for a 57-40 victory. Taft led 20-18 at the half, but went on a 12-2 run in the third quarter to take a 36-26 lead. The momentum carried into the fourth quarter as Davis hit a short jumper and freshman Rmanii Haynes stole the ball at half court and scored on a layup. Then Davis hit a 3-pointer to give Taft a 44-28 lead with 6:58 remaining. The fourth-seeded Lancers (19-0) will visit Taft in the semifinals Friday. CITY INVITATIONAL El Camino Real 57, Poly 50: Keren Gordon scored a game-high 26 points to lead El Camino Real of Woodland Hills to a quarterfinal victory over host Poly of Sun Valley. Monika Fernandez added 14 points for the Conquistadores (8-18), and Ashley Burch scored 14 for the Parrots. SOUTHERN SECTION PLAYOFFS DIV. II-A Palmdale 40, St. Joseph 34: Palmdale used a 13-0 run that stretched eight minutes of the second half to give Palmdale the come-from-behind victory over visiting St. Joseph of Santa Maria. Brittney Lloyd, who played the last 15 minutes of the game with four fouls, scored 14 points including the go-ahead 3-pointer to give the Falcons (23-4) a 32-31 lead in the first minute of the fourth quarter. DIV. IV-A Flintridge Prep 52, Calvary Chapel 40: Jordan Toyama scored 11 points and Laurel Myers had eight points and 17 rebounds as second-seeded host Flintridge Prep of La Canada Flintridge (23-3) defeated Calvary Chapel of Murrieta (20-7). DIV. V-A L.A. Baptist 49, Alverno 28: Andreanna Marshall scored a game-high 15 points to lead L.A. Baptist of North Hills (19-6) to a second-round victory over host Alverno of Sierra Madre (7-17). 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
The two clubs meet in London on Saturday but on Wednesday they clash in the third round of the League Cup.At his pre-match press conference on Tuesday, Klopp said when asked about Sarri: “It is the biggest change of system I ever saw in such a short period of time. Wow. Style completely (different). What a manager he is, to be honest.“I’m pretty much a supporter of him since I saw them playing at Naples (Sarri’s Napoli team). That’s outstanding football, and now (he is) doing it in a very interrupted pre-season, without a lot of players involved — Eden (Hazard), (Olivier) Giroud — and starting the season, and you see immediately the impact.”Klopp said Chelsea are realistic title contenders and is surprised they are not being tipped more widely.“This team is experienced,” said the Liverpool boss. “They won the title already — I’m not sure, but 80 per cent of them probably twice, and they know how it works. So that’s a really good group, a really strong football team.”Klopp confirmed goalkeeper Simon Mignolet will make his first appearance of the season in Wednesday’s cup tie as Alisson Becker rests.Dejan Lovren, having recovered from injury, could join Mignolet in getting a first run out of the season while Virgil van Dijk is being monitored after coming off in Saturday’s 3-0 win over Southampton due to a rib issue.Klopp said he will name a strong side for Wednesday’s match, in a competition often considered the lowest priority for sides involved in Champions League football.“It’s not about the other three competitions tomorrow night, it’s exactly one we have to play in, not four, and that’s how we will take it, with all concentration, all focus, all intensity, normal game,” he said.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Maurizio Sarri has started his Chelsea career in style © AFP/File / Lindsey PARNABYLONDON, United Kingdom, Sep 25 – Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp has expressed his admiration for Chelsea manager Maurizio Sarri and stressed that the Blues are strong contenders for the Premier League title.Chelsea — in Sarri’s first season at Stamford Bridge — have 16 points out of a possible 18 in the Premier League so far, two fewer than leaders Liverpool.
2 2 REVEALED Tottenham predicted XI to face Brighton with Mourinho expected to make big changes England’s most successful clubs of the past decade, according to trophies won Gianfranco Zola is back at Chelsea as assistant manager to Maurizio Sarri.The Blues legend returns to Stamford Bridge 15 years after making the last of his 312 appearances for the club. Latest Premier League News How Chelsea could line up against Southampton – what system will Lampard play? ALTERED NEW ERA gameday silverware How Arsenal could line up in Arteta’s first official game in charge – Ozil return? possible xi predicted Which teams do the best on Boxing Day in the Premier League era? Zola has managerial experience in England How Man United could line up for Newcastle clash – will Pogba start? possible standings “I would like to meet these players face to face, talk to them and understand what the best thing to do would be for everyone.“Before that I would also like a player to come on the pitch for four or five days together with me, to have a clear idea of what the situation is.“Hazard is a very high-level player. He’s one of the top two or three European players.” Tottenham v Brighton LIVE: talkSPORT commentary and team news for Boxing Day opener Gianfranco Zola celebrates a Chelsea goal in 2000 How the Premier League table could change after the Boxing Day fixtures smart causal who plays? The news came on the same day that former Napoli boss Sarri had his unveiling at Stamford Bridge, having replaced Antonio Conte on Saturday.Sarri’s first task will be convincing Eden Hazard and Thibaut Courtois to commit to Chelsea and forget about joining Real Madrid.Belgium internationals Hazard and Courtois, who are recovering after helping their country finish third at the World Cup, have been heavily linked with Real.Goalkeeper Courtois has just a year remaining on his Chelsea contract, while forward Hazard has an additional 12 months.Chelsea’s failure to qualify for the Champions League will not aid Sarri’s cause but he is hopeful his coaching methods can convince the pair to stay.“The players you are referring to are very high level players and I would like to keep them in my squad,” the Italian said at his unveiling on Wednesday.“A telephone call without looking them in the eyes would not give me any certainty. How Liverpool could line up at Leicester with midfielder set for lengthy absence Every current Premier League club’s best kit from the past decade Getty Images – Getty Zola, who scored 80 goals for Chelsea between 1996 and 2003, won the UEFA Cup Winners’ Cup and Super Cup, two FA Cups and the League Cup.The 52-year-old has had management experience in England with West Ham, Watford and Birmingham.He told Chelsea’s official website on Wednesday evening: “For me it is an amazing thing.“I am very willing to work hard because it is going to be a difficult challenge but I am pleased to be here, and to work hard with Maurizio to be successful.“It would be great to be successful with Maurizio and for the club and I will give my best, as I did in the past as a player, so I will give my best in my new position.“I am very much looking forward to the challenge in general. I would love us to start well and we are all very excited to start this new adventure.”
Click on the video above to view the sickening moment a Mexican U19 international player cowardly kicks former Letterkenny Rovers player Dale Gorman in the head as he lays on the ground.A melee broke out during the Milk Cup international match between Northern Ireland and Mexico. In the video above Gorman is wearing the No.9 jersey, he is then thrown to the ground, as he lays on the ground a Mexican player sprints over to him and kicks him right in the head.The sickening footage has stunned organisers, and an investigation is underway into the incident, with many calling for a lengthy ban to the Mexican player in question and a lifetime ban for Mexico at the Milk Cup competition.Gorman from Letterkenny, is the son of former Finn Harps manager and Linfield player Anthony Gorman.He qualifies to play for Northern Ireland as he was born in Derry. Gorman is currently on the books of Stevenage Borough in England, and is in his second year at the club after signing in 2013. DDTV: SHOCKING FOOTAGE OF DONEGAL SOCCER STAR VIOLENTLY KICKED IN THE HEAD was last modified: July 31st, 2014 by Mark ForkerShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Dale GormanDDTVnewsNOrthern IrelandSport
A man and woman were arrested following a frightening crash at the Rory Gallagher Festival in Ballyshannon on Sunday night.A drunk driver smashed into railings near the festival marquee after a high-speed pursuit with Gardaí.The car had struck a roundabout before hitting the barriers on the main Belleek Road route into Ballyshannon. Nobody was injured in the incident, as festival goers were kept out of harm’s way by fast-acting Gardaí on the ground.The pursuit began at around 11pm on Sunday night after gardaí received reports of a car being driven erratically near Bundoran and Finner. The car then made a u-turn and sped in the direction of Ballyshannon.Gardaí involved in the pursuit radioed ahead to gardaí on foot patrol at the Rory Gallagher Festival to clear pedestrians from the scene. The driver of the car and a passenger were arrested after the crash.The male driver, who was a disqualified driver, was arrested for drunk driving and dangerous driving offences. He is being charged with numerous offences and will appear in court at a later date. The female passenger was arrested for a public order offence.Investigations are continuing.Two arrested after near-miss crash at Donegal festival was last modified: June 5th, 2019 by Rachel McLaughlinShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Ballyshannon
SANTA CLARA — Where’s Colin Kaepernick? He’s not in the NFL, and he’s not in a 49ers photo gallery rekindling great memories of their rivalry with the Green Bay Packers.For that, the 49ers apologized Friday and hastened to make amends.“Unfortunately there were a handful of obvious misses in this gallery posted by our website team and we appreciate them being brought to our attention,” the team said in a statement.Twice beating the Packers made for epic moments in Kaepernick’s six-year tenure …
Ja’Quan Gardner will be back on the gridiron come 2020.The record-setting Humboldt State University running back was selected by the newly formed XFL’s Seattle Dragons Friday in the final of five “draft phases.”Seattle will be coached by a face familiar to the area, Jim Zorn.Zorn served as the Seattle Seahawks quarterback for the franchises first eight seasons (1976-1984). Zorn was previously head coach for the Washington Redskins from 2008 through 2009. Gardner and the Dragons …