The government is planning to develop 30,000 hectares (ha) of farmland in Humbang Hasundutan district, North Sumatra, next year in an effort to secure the country’s food supply, a senior official has said.A variety of crops will be grown on the land, including garlic, shallots and potatoes, according to the soil’s potential, Agriculture Minister Syahrul Yasin said.The plan seeks to address the government’s concerns about a looming food crisis as a consequence of the COVID-19 pandemic, heeding an earlier warning from the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO).“The global supply chain is threatened by export restrictions. The COVID-19 pandemic is disrupting food distribution at home and is hitting people’s purchasing power,” Syahrul said in a virtual briefing on Monday. “We need the right strategy so that this country can survive and come out of this pandemic.”To develop the land, the ministry will provide farmers with tractors, tillers and hybrid corn seeds, among other forms of assistance.The COVID-19 crisis has aggravated Indonesia’s food security issues. In late April, a month after the country’s first outbreak, President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo reported that key commodities, such as garlic, sugar, chili and chicken eggs, were in short supply in more than 20 provinces, while rice, a staple food for Indonesians, was lacking in seven provinces.Making matters worse, the dry season looms on the horizon and may impact the overall output of the agricultural sector, which employs more than a quarter of the nation’s workforce. The Indonesia office of the World Food Programme (WFP) has estimated that that the country experienced a decline in rice production of 13.2 percent year-on-year to 16.1 million tons in the first half of 2020.Statistics Indonesia (BPS) data shows that the country’s rice production had already fallen by 7.75 percent to 31.31 million tons in 2019, compared to 2018. In the same year, the land area used to cultivate rice fell by 6.15 percent year-on-year to 10.68 million hectares.To ensure food availability in the country, the agriculture minister previously revealed a plan to develop 164,598 ha of farmland, including scrubland, in Pulau Pisang Regency, Central Kalimantan. About half of the land already serves as farmland.The development is expected to be completed in 2022 and is expected to raise rice and corn production, with an expected yield of 2 tons of rice per hectare.The Jokowi administration has also brought the rice-planting season forward this year, to May and June, so that the harvest season will be in August and September.It estimates a harvest of 12.5 million to 15 million tons of rice by December.Although the farmland being developed may help offset declining productivity, the government should ensure the development does not come at the expense of the environment by, among other things, banning the use of harmful pesticides, said Galuh Octania, a researcher focusing on food security at the Center for Indonesian Policy Studies (CIPS), a Jakarta-based think tank.“The use of pesticides harmful to the environment may cause damage to the soil,” Galuh told The Jakarta Post by text message on Monday.Topics :
Terry Allen Jackson, 73, of Lawrenceburg, Indiana, and formerly Aurora, passed away Wednesday, November 2, 2016 in Cincinnati, OH.He was born October 14, 1943 in Aurora, IN and graduated from Aurora High School. Terry served his Country as a member of the United States Navy. He worked as a Boiler Operator for Henkel Chemical Company for over 30 years, and married his wife Jacqueline Sue HastingsHe was a member of Hebron Lutheran Church, Hebron KY, Lawrenceburg Masonic Lodge and Southeastern Indiana Shrine Club. He participated in fund raising, including serving at the steak dinners held by the Shrine club. Terry also drove the van to take children to Shriners Hospital for Children in Lexington, and later organized the runs for the hospital. He loved to fish, tell jokes, was an IU Basketball fan and enjoyed spending time with his family. He was especially close to his grandson, Aaron. Terry was a kind and gentle man who served his fellow man not only through his military service and later through the work with the Shriners. He was a great example to all who knew him and he will be sadly missed.Surviving are his loving wife of 54 years, Jacqueline “Jackie” Jackson, Son, Michael (Cindy) Allen Jackson, grandchild, Aaron Michael Jackson.He was preceded in death by his parents and a sister, Bonnie Oatman.Friends will be received Friday, November 4, 2016, 5:00 pm – 8:00 pm at the First Baptist Church, Aurora, Indiana.Services will be held at the Church Saturday at 11:00 am.Interment will follow in the Greendale Cemetery, Greendale, Indiana 47025. Military graveside services will be conducted by members of local Veterans Service Organizations.Contributions may be made to the Shriners Hospital for Children. If unable to attend services, please call the funeral home office at (812) 926-1450 and we will notify the family of your donation with a card.Visit: www.rullmans.com
Reactions were mixed after Novak Djokovic’s disqualification from the U.S. Open for striking a line judge with a ball during his match against Pablo Carreno Busta on Sunday.Following the incident, the U. S. Tennis Association issued a statement saying that Djokovic would lose all the ranking points earned from the event. He will also be fined the 250,000 dollars prize money for reaching round four.“In accordance with the Grand Slam rulebook, following his actions of intentionally hitting a ball dangerously or recklessly within the court or hitting a ball with negligent disregard of the consequences, the US Open tournament referee defaulted Novak Djokovic from the 2020 US Open.“Because he was defaulted, Djokovic will lose all ranking points earned at the US Open and will be fined the prize money won at the tournament in addition to any or all fines levied with respect to the offending incident,” the statement said.Busta was left in shock after the incident, saying: “I never expected this moment playing against Novak. So, it was a tough moment also for me.“I think this was not intentional,” the Spaniard told reporters. “I don’t think that any one of us, the players, do this (intentionally). “It’s just I broke his serve and he threw the ball. I think that it was bad luck, no? You cannot do this, but of course I think that Novak never, never wants to hit the line umpire.“I’m so sorry about that, because it’s not the way that I want to be in (the) quarter-finals.”Alexander Zverev told reporters after his own fourth-round win that he was still in shock over the incident.“I’m a little bit in shock right now, to be honest.“Very unlucky for Novak. I think he’s going to be a little bit upset about it. If he would have hit it anywhere else, if it would have landed anywhere else, we are talking about a few inches, he would have been fine. “It’s very unfortunate that he hit the line judge, and especially where it hit her,” Zverev told reporters.Former champion Mats Wilander, analysing the action for Eurosport, a television station, said it was very unlucky for Djokovic but that it had been the correct decision.“You are not allowed to do that,” he said. “It’s as much bad luck as you can have on a tennis court. He didn’t just roll the ball back to the ball kid. That’s the bottom line.“He hit it harder than he intended to, obviously a complete accident. It was a sign of frustration, yes. A little bit. But it doesn’t matter, you are not allowed to do it.”RelatedPosts Djokovic clinches fifth Italian Open title Djokovic zooms to 10th Italian Open final Djokovic fined $10,000 for ‘unsportsmanlike conduct’ Martina Navratilova, 18-times Grand Slam singles champion said: “Unbelievable what just happened on the court,” she wrote on Twitter.“Novak Djokovic defaulted for inadvertently but stupidly hitting a lineswoman in the throat with a ball and the officials had no choice but to default.“Wow… #sad. Glad the woman is ok. We must do better than that.”Billie Jean King, 12-times Grand Slam singles champion also tweeted, saying it was an unfortunate incident but added that the rule was the rule.“I hope the line judge is okay,” she wrote on Twitter.“The rule is the rule. It is unfortunate for everyone involved, but in this specific situation the default was the right call.”Tim Henman, a former player noted that the referee made the right decision, saying every player has to be responsible for his actions.“It’s the right decision,” Henman said.“He was not aiming for the line judge, but has hit the ball away and you have to be responsible for your actions.”Alex Corretja, a former French Open finalist, said the incident had changed the future and history of tennis.“It’s amazing how one centimetre can change not only the match, but the future of our sport, the history of our sport,” he said.“With the rule as it is, you need to disqualify him. It’s obvious they had no other choice, it’s a pity…”Tim Mayotte, a coach and former player, said the mistake was a common phenomenon with every high-performance player he has trained.“Almost every high-performance player I train does what Novak did in firing the ball,” he posted on Twitter.“I tell them to stop it, and break the habit for this exact reason, they eventually hit someone and it won’t be good. Yes, Novak deserved it.”Australian tennis player, Nick Kyrgios on his part, chose to see the funny side of the issue, describing it as a “Swap me for jokers incident”.‘”Accidentally hitting the ball kid in the throat’ how many years would I be banned for? 5? 10? 20?” he wrote on Twitter.A clearly sad and frustrated-looking Djokovic stormed out of Flushing Meadows.He refused to speak to the media and offer a public apology for the incident that led to his shock fourth round disqualification at the US Open.The Serbian star will now also face a fine for missing his press conference, according to the tournament’s rules. (Reuters/NAN)Tags: 2020 US OpenNovak DjokovicU. S. Tennis Association
It’s being held at Kilruane’s ground to mark the role played a century ago by local man Thomas McDonagh in the Easter Rising. The former – who are through to the divisional decider for the first time since 1990 – beat Burgess 3-12 to 1-14 in the semi-finals of the competition.Kiladangan advanced on the back of a 2-25 to 1-10 win over Roscrea.The final will be played in Cloughjordan next Sunday.