Pebbles, canine face of food recall, dies

first_imgLOS ANGELES – Pebbles, a doe-eyed Yorkshire terrier that became a symbol of the national pet food scare, has died while being treated for kidney failure that developed after she ate some of the suspect food. The 7-year-old pooch died early Thursday, her owner Jeff Kerner said Friday. The dog had been treated with intravenous fluids at Sylmar’s Collett Veterinary Clinic for a week. “Although my family loves me, no one ever loved me like that dog,” Kerner, 48, said tearfully over the phone. “Every Web site I go to I see my dog. She was so cute.” Officials said Friday that the toxin aminopterin – used to kill rats in some countries – was found in the food. Pebbles became ill with kidney failure after being fed Nutro foil pouches – a product that was subsequently recalled, Kerner said. The dog’s appetite returned a bit by Wednesday, but her kidney levels were far from normal. A qualified clinic staffer took Pebbles home with her that night and the dog died in bed there, Kerner said. “She could barely stand up when I saw her. She just wanted to lay on me,” he said. “I wish I could have taken her home. … But I’m glad she didn’t die in a cage in the vet center.” Los Angeles County officials have confirmed at least 16 cases of kidney failure in dogs and cats exposed to the recalled food, and at least five of those have died, said Jonathan Fielding, county director of public health. Seventy-five more cases are being investigated, he said. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

Girl, 5, who slipped in Aura Leisure Centre awarded €45,000

first_imgA young girl who slipped and fell while trying to get on a water slide at a leisure centre has been awarded €45,000.The girl, who was aged 5 at the time of the accident on August 4th, 2013, was at the Aura Leisure Centre in Letterkenny, Co Donegal. Letterkenny Circuit Court heard how the child was climbing steps up to a water slide when she slipped and banged her face.The court was told that the child was unaccompanied at the time of the accident and out of sight of adults.She was knocked out and bleeding heavily and was rushed to Altnagelvin Hospital in Derry.She received treatment for a wound to her upper lip and also lost three teeth as a result of the fall.Medical evidence was given that a scar on the girl’s upper lip has healed well and will continue to do so.Orthodontist Dr Jeremy Worth carried out treatment on the little girl in the months after her fall.He said that the child’s adult teeth have since erupted and appear to be normal.However, he warned that some of the roots of these teeth have been bent and may cause problems in later years.He said they may need future treatment and may have to be replaced.Barrister Ciara Fitzerald, instructed by Seamus Gunne, said the girl’s family were happy with the offer of €45,000.Judge John Aylmer asked to speak with the little girl and her parents in his chambers and then said he was happy to recommend the offer.He also agreed to an application for a release of €500 for a trip to Disneyland, Paris.Girl, 5, who slipped in Aura Leisure Centre awarded €45,000 was last modified: February 7th, 2018 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Aura Lesiure CentreawardCostscourtdonegalfallhospitalletterkennylast_img read more