President personally phones newspaper’s chairman to threaten him

first_img Sri LankaAsia – Pacific August 2, 2011 – Updated on January 20, 2016 President personally phones newspaper’s chairman to threaten him Receive email alerts Sri Lanka: tamil reporter held on absurd terrorism charge News Follow the news on Sri Lanka Sri LankaAsia – Pacific RSF_en to go further Reporters Without Borders firmly condemns the threats that President Mahinda Rajapaksa made in a phone call to the chairman of The Sunday Leader, Lal Wickrematunge, on 19 July because of an article reporting that China had given the president and his son, parliamentarian Namal Rajapaksa, money to be used “at their discretion.”“We are extremely shocked that the president personally phones journalists in order to threaten them.” Reporters Without Borders said. “It is unacceptable that The Sunday Leader, Sri Lanka’s only independent English-language newspaper, should be subjected to such pressure. If the president disagrees with an article, he can respond to it and explain himself in the media. That is how issues are discussed in a democracy.“We condemn the president’s action as irresponsible. A country’s president is supposed to set an example. But Mahinda Rajapaksa is setting a bad one. It says a lot about the degree of respect he feels for media independence and his political readiness to establish the conditions needed for media freedom. We urge him to change course.“This is not the first time that a news media has been threatened by members of the Rajapaksa family. We urge the president to put an immediate stop to these warnings and threats against journalists. We also urge Sri Lanka’s media to join together in condemning such behaviour, which can have a real intimidatory effect on the entire media profession.”When Wickrematunge received the call from President Rajapaksa on 19 July, the president shouted: “You are writing lies, outrageous lies! You can attack me politically, but if you attack me personally, I will know how to attack you personally too.” Around 100 posters with the words “Do not lie!” and “The gods will punish you” also appeared on the walls of the newspaper’s headquarters. (see picture)Rajapaksa’s call was prompted by an article that editor Frederica Jansz published in the newspaper two days earlier reporting that China had made a grant of 9 million dollars to the president and half a million dollars to the president’s son, to be used “at their discretion.” The newspaper’s attempts to contact the president for an explanation had been unsuccessful.The Sunday Leader has long been targeted by the government. Lal Wickrematunge’s predecessor at the head of the newspaper, Lasantha Wickrematunge, was murdered on 8 January 2009. The murder was not investigated properly and the culprit was never caught, in a clear sign of ill-will on the part of the authorities. Reporters Without Borders reiterates its call for a proper investigation.Lal Wickrematunge took charge of the newspaper after his brother’s murder. Now he is the target of intimidation attempts too. Organisation center_img News News January 13, 2021 Find out more Help by sharing this information News Sri Lanka: Journalist manhandled by notorious police inspector currently on trial Sri Lanka: RSF signs joint statement on attacks against human rights defenders, lawyers and journalists July 29, 2020 Find out more July 15, 2020 Find out morelast_img read more

LIT President strongly encourages Class of 2020 to continue education as…

first_imgNewsEducationLIT President strongly encourages Class of 2020 to continue education as guidelines for academic delivery are publishedBy Cian Reinhardt – June 16, 2020 393 Email Print Facebook Previous articleMajor delivery of PPE by Heroes-Aid to frontline workers across County Limerick todayNext articleLimerick Pride 2020 to celebrate the LGBTQ+ community online Cian Reinhardthttp://www.limerickpost.ieJournalist & Digital Media Coordinator. Covering human interest and social issues as well as creating digital content to accompany news stories. [email protected] Linkedincenter_img Twitter WhatsApp Advertisement Professor Vincent Cunnane, President of Limerick Institute of Technology.Picture Sean Curtin True Media.THE LEAVING Certificate Class of 2020 has been encouraged to “come onto” Limerick Institute of Technology’s campuses to continue their education this upcoming academic semester.LIT President, Professor Vincent Cunnane, is strongly encouraging new third-level students to continue their journey in education, saying, “We want you to come onto our campuses, where we will ensure your safety and provide you with a stimulating college experience.”Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Professor Cunnane, who is currently the Chair of the Technological Higher Education Association (THEA), was speaking after principles and guidelines for programme delivery for the 2020/21 academic year were published this week.The guidelines, to be adopted by LIT and all other Institutes of Technology across Ireland, set out how students and communities will be supported over the coming months and through the next academic year.LIT recently unveiled its roadmap to reopening its campuses and outlined preliminary plans for the new 2020/21 academic year.The institute will introduce a blended model of learning which will include remote teaching and lectures coupled with practical classes and tutorials that will take place predominantly on campus.Professor Cunnane welcomed the guidelines and recognised the importance of the student experience in producing graduates that respond to regional industry needs.The LIT President said they want students and parents/guardians across the country to know “that we will take care of you and all of our students next year”.“Our model blends the theoretical with the practical, and because of this our students will continue to be on campus for much of their learning,” Professor Cunnane said, adding, “It may be happening in a different way, but it will be happening.  The entire sector has been working to ensure that our students will be safe and will experience college life.”Although LIT’s campuses will be open more fully from September 2020, the volume of people on campus at any given time may be substantially reduced to allow for social distancing and other public health directives.Professor Cunnane said students who accept their CAO offers for an LIT course will “be beginning an exciting and dynamic professional journey” that will help shape not only their future, but that of the region and Ireland.Returning LIT students will return to their studies on September 14, with incoming LIT students beginning their term on September 28, in line with all others Institutes of Technology across the country.LIT is planning to maintain all services for students throughout the academic year 2020/21.More details on the principles and guidelines for programme delivery for the 2020/21 are available on www.thea.ielast_img read more

Medical oxygen scarce in Africa, Latin America amid virus

first_img By Digital AIM Web Support – February 25, 2021 WhatsApp Twitter Facebook Local NewsBusinessUS NewsWorld News A man sleeps on top of empty oxygen cylinders, waiting for a shop to open to refill his tank, in the Villa El Salvador neighborhood of Lima, Peru, early Thursday morning, Feb. 18, 2021. A crisis over the supply of medical oxygen for coronavirus patients has struck nations in Africa and Latin America, where warnings went unheeded at the start of the pandemic and doctors say the shortage has led to unnecessary deaths. Pinterest Previous articleT-Mobile Brings Ultra Capacity 5G to Miami U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) HospitalNext article‘Blinding Lights’ and more hits the Grammys left in the dark Digital AIM Web Supportcenter_img WhatsApp TAGS  Medical oxygen scarce in Africa, Latin America amid virus Pinterest Facebook Twitterlast_img read more

Time to reassess employees’ worth

first_imgRelated posts:No related photos. At a time when the Health and Safety Commission has urged trade unions toraise awareness of occupational health issues among their members, it mayappear hypocritical that stress-related ill-health is still regarded as a poorrelation to chemical poisoning, asbestos or other physical injuries. Employers often assume it is the employee who is faulty and dismisssuggestions that the employer’s systems, management culture or the environmentof the workplace could be at fault. But even if we accept this diagnosis, arethere any benefits to be gained by improving the lot of the employee at work? There have been a number of authoritative writers on employee retention andmotivation who have demonstrated that money is not the only answer. Staff wantto be heard, treated fairly, managed properly, and most of all, valued. Thistakes time and communication and listening skills. Unfortunately, the pace ofbusiness life lends itself to providing excuses and reasons for not engaging inlistening, valuing and treating staff fairly. What evidence do we have to support this and what, if any, is the cost toindustry? The out-of-court settlement to Leslie North for stress in August wasgreeted by a spokesperson from the Institute of Directors with derision. It wasquoted in a national newspaper as referring to the settlement as “thelitigation and compensation culture gone absolutely barmy”. Ever since the landmark Walker case of 1996, there has been a queue formingfrom teachers to council employees to many unreported cases of employeesseeking compensation for the ill-health effects of workplace stress. It isdifficult to see the tide turning and employees returning to putting up withpoor work conditions for longer-term security of tenure. Employers can no longer offer this and the new generation of staff may notwant it. They are highly mobile with portable skills so it may be morefinancially beneficial for employers to channel the efforts expended infighting claims into assessing risk and removing the causes of workplacestress. If people are an organisation’s strategic advantage, why do some forget tolisten, value them and assess the risk to their well being and productivity inthe name of expediency? Time to reassess employees’ worthOn 1 Dec 2000 in Personnel Today Comments are closed. Previous Article Next Articlelast_img read more

Sassoon scripts accessible online

first_imgA collection of the manuscripts of Siegfried Sassoon is freely available online as of the Armistice Day this year.The collection focuses on the poet’s war poetry, with highlights including variants of key war poetry anthologies and will be part of Oxford University’s ‘First World War Poetry Digital Archive’.“Siegfried Sassoon ranked alongside Wilfred Owen as the most widely read of all of the poets of the First World War”, said Dr Stuart Lee, Director of the Archive. “It is fascinating being able to see the corrections and crossings-out he made to the manuscripts, invaluable to researchers studying the literature of the War, and provides a rich resource to enhance both teaching and learning of the period.”Matthew Parvin, a first-year English student at Jesus commented, “It’s amazing being able to see such famous works as they were originally written, whenever and wherever you want. The manuscripts really emphasize the humanity of Sassoon, as well as giving an incite into his thoughts and how his works were created.”last_img read more

Ryan misses out at the last

first_imgIreland’s Caroline Ryan was denied a medal in the women’s scratch race on day three of the Track Cycling World Championships in Minsk after being overtaken by the chasing pack in the final half-lap. Press Association Ryan was floundering as the line approached and she was overtaken by the pack as Russia’s Evgeniya Romanyuta claimed bronze. The Irishwoman finished seventh, one place behind Great Britain’s Dani King. In the women’s sprint, Becky James advanced to the semi-finals with apparent ease, winning her best-of-three quarter-final with Australia’s Kaarle McCulloch 2-0. The 21-year-old from Abergavenny is in the form of her life and won team sprint and 500m time-trial bronze medals on the opening two days of competition. She accelerated by McCulloch in the first bout to win comfortably and in the second held off the Australian to claim a 2-0 win. The last-four of the sprint takes place tomorrow, with James drawn against China’s Guo Shuang in the best-of-three semi-final. center_img Ryan was seeking to claim her second World Championships medal – after points race bronze in 2012 – in the 40-lap (10-kilometre) event and follow Martyn Irvine’s successes on day two, her team-mate who won men’s scratch gold and individual pursuit silver. She initiated the break 12 laps out and had two accomplices, but defending champion Katarzyna Pawlowska of Poland overtook her and claimed the victory, with Mexico’s Sofia Arreola Navarro second. last_img read more