Pebbles, canine face of food recall, dies

first_imgLOS ANGELES – Pebbles, a doe-eyed Yorkshire terrier that became a symbol of the national pet food scare, has died while being treated for kidney failure that developed after she ate some of the suspect food. The 7-year-old pooch died early Thursday, her owner Jeff Kerner said Friday. The dog had been treated with intravenous fluids at Sylmar’s Collett Veterinary Clinic for a week. “Although my family loves me, no one ever loved me like that dog,” Kerner, 48, said tearfully over the phone. “Every Web site I go to I see my dog. She was so cute.” Officials said Friday that the toxin aminopterin – used to kill rats in some countries – was found in the food. Pebbles became ill with kidney failure after being fed Nutro foil pouches – a product that was subsequently recalled, Kerner said. The dog’s appetite returned a bit by Wednesday, but her kidney levels were far from normal. A qualified clinic staffer took Pebbles home with her that night and the dog died in bed there, Kerner said. “She could barely stand up when I saw her. She just wanted to lay on me,” he said. “I wish I could have taken her home. … But I’m glad she didn’t die in a cage in the vet center.” Los Angeles County officials have confirmed at least 16 cases of kidney failure in dogs and cats exposed to the recalled food, and at least five of those have died, said Jonathan Fielding, county director of public health. Seventy-five more cases are being investigated, he said. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more